Indeed, Bailey’s simple yet satisfying recipe requires just three things: oats, Greek yogurt, and baking powder, plus an everything bagel-inspired seasoning of your choice and cream cheese (regular or plant-based) if you want to jazz up the recipe a bit more. Oats and Greek yogurt are a dynamic duo for breakfast, as oats offer a hefty dose of plant-based protein and beta-glucan fiber to boost digestion, help regulate blood sugar first things first, and improve your skin health and immunity to boot. Same goes for Greek yogurt: It’s among the most protein-rich yogurt varieties due to the way it is strained, not to mention the fact that it’s a great source of calcium and probiotics for a major gut health boost. Seriously, this protein-fiber package will help keep you energized until lunch so you can stay sharp and focused on the morning’s to-do list.
While the recipe calls for gluten-free oats to make oat flour, you can use any type of oats you have on hand if you don’t have a gluten allergy or intolerance. Bailey doesn’t recommend using other flours though, as she hasn’t experimented with any different varieties, but she says you can use a full-fat coconut yogurt instead of Greek yogurt if you would like to make this recipe dairy-free and vegan. Also good to know: Bailey says there’s plenty of room for experimentation when it comes to flavor. She suggests trying out a fruit-flavored Greek yogurt for a sweeter treat or adding cinnamon and raisins to your batter to achieve that classic bagel combination. (Swoon.)
Lastly, while oats and yogurt are a great foundation for a nourishing breakfast, keep in mind that you’ll want to bulk this recipe up by serving it with a bit more protein (and possibly a fruit or veg) for a more well-rounded, satisfying meal. Pair these bagel bites with scrambled eggs, avocado, and berries or a side of protein and roasted seasonal veggies to make this a true meal.
3-ingredient gluten-free bagel bites recipe
Servings: 12 mini bagels
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 8 minutes
1 cup gluten free oats (or oats of choice) blended into flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 cup plain Greek yogurt
1. Preheat oven to 425°F.
2. Blend gluten free oats in a high-powered blender or food processor to create a fine oat flour.
3. In a small bowl, add the oat flour, baking powder, and Greek yogurt. Mix until combined and dough forms. Dough will be sticky at first, but as it rests, the yogurt will continue to absorb the oat flour.
4. Grease a mini muffin tin and add dough. The bagels do not need to be shaped perfectly, just get them in there.
5. Sprinkle with everything but the bagel seasoning and bake for 8-10 minutes.
6. Top with cream cheese or vegan cheese spread. Inhale!