When we say, “drink at least 8 glasses of water each day,” to speed up weight loss – there is more than one way in which water can actually affect weight loss – it helps to flush out toxins, has absolutely no calories, boosts metabolism, and keeps hunger pangs in check. Also, dehydration can lead to water retention, adding more pounds to the body albeit temporary. Since the human body is made of approximately 60% water, it is absolutely essential to run all key functions in the body, from digestion to synthesis of various hormones and enzymes in the body. It is also important for muscle function and for the fat-burning process. Summing up, we can deduce that we should not limit water consumption at just 8 glasses per day, you need at least 2 litres of water to stay well hydrated and to boost weight loss, but are you drinking water the right way? In this post, we explore how to drink water the right way to lose weight.
How Water Helps with Weight Loss?
1. Suppresses Appetite: When you drink enough water, the stomach expands and the brain senses that the tummy is full, thereby reducing the level of hunger hormone. Also, most of the times, people confuse hunger signals with thirst, and may actually snack on unhealthy foods when in reality, they just need water!
2. Flushes out Toxins: When you drink enough water, the body works really well to flush out toxins, relieving symptoms of bloating, constipation.
3. Speeds up Lipolysis: The fat-burning process is called “lipolysis,” and the first step in this process is “hydrolysis” where water mixes with fat molecules to create glycerol and three fatty acids. It is after this process that the conversion to energy form of the fat occurs.
4. Water makes workout more efficient by regulating body temperature and preventing muscle fatigue. It also prevents dehydration, also lubricates joints, reducing the risk of injuries.
5. Prevents Water Retention: With dehydration comes water retention, and when you drink enough water, the water stores are replenished, and cells do not hold on to extra water.
How To Drink Water the Right Way to Lose Weight?
1. Start your day with a glass of Warm Water: This helps to flush out toxins and regulates the digestive process. A good glass of water also resets metabolism and starts the calorie-burning process in place.
2. Practice Water Preloading: Water preloading is a healthy and almost effortless way to aid weight loss. In this strategy, experts recommend to consume 500 ml of plain water half an hour before each meal (breakfast, lunch, and dinner). Such a quantity of water before the meal will significantly stretch your tummy and as a result, there would be lesser release of the hunger hormone “ghrelin.” This means you would feel full with less food and fewer calorie intake. It is an effective strategy to tackle overeating. It’s a fact that most of us do not consume enough water through the day, and most of the times, we are just thirsty and not really hungry. Frequent hunger pangs are most probably caused due to dehydration and if you can provide your body with more H2O, you can lose weight rather effectively. However, if a person suffers from heart or kidney ailment, water preloading should not be practiced without the approval of the doctor because it lead to fluid retention and shortness of breath in such individuals.
3. Before and After Workout: Drinking water before and after workout helps to replenish fluid lost during workout through sweating. It also reduces the risk of injury by lubricating joints and prevents muscle cramps. When muscle cells are dehydrated, the process of breaking down happens more quickly, thus leaving workouts less effective. Also, less water will leave one exhausted and quickly out of energy within a short span of time while working out.
4. Drink Cold Water Through the Day: Some studies have found out that drinking one glass of ice water can burn up to 8 calories because the body requires energy in the form of calories to raise its core temperature.
5. Replace Aerated Drinks with Water: Juice, tea, soda, soft drinks all supply the body with empty calories that leads weight gain, whereas plain water is 100% calorie free, relieves thirst, and boosts metabolism to aid the fat-burning process.
Can you think of any more ways to use water to lose weight? If yes, please do comment down below ?