Saturated fat is found in:
- Butter, ghee, suet, lard, coconut oil and palm oil
- Fatty cuts of meat
- Cured meats like salami, chorizo and pancetta
- Pastries, such as pies, quiches, sausage rolls and croissants
- Cream, crème fraîche and sour cream
- Ice cream
- Coconut milk and coconut cream
- Chocolate and chocolate spreads.
You should try to replace saturated fats with unsaturated fats which are better for your heart, advises Heart UK.
Lean meat, especially offal, such as liver, kidney, sweetbreads, heart and tripe, is a good source of unsaturated fat.
There are some foods which are low in saturated fat but high in cholesterol. These include eggs, some shellfish, liver, liver pate and offal.